Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year's

It’s still the holiday season… or at least that’s what I’m told. Christmas is over. Our tree and decorations are down. Christmas carols seem to have disappeared overnight. Conversations are no longer about the warmth and goodness of Christmas but about how cold it’s getting. That conversation usually starts off strong: “It’s finally getting cold.” But ends pretty weak: “Yup.”

But the holiday season is not over and I have thoroughly enjoyed my empty commute to work this past week as New Year’s is about to roll around. The idea of saying farewell to one year and welcoming another is a bit odd to me, but the chance to start over or take on new challenges should never be wasted. Therefore, it is with great anticipation that I await the New Year.

This week, I have been compiling a list of goals and aspirations for the New Year… so far I have two typed pages worth, single-spaced. The list includes both simple tasks of a to-do nature and broad resolutions for vast self-improvement. In fact, there are quite a few things on my list that I didn’t put there, but were included by my wife (how else would “finish the basement bathroom” make it on to the list? I have no desire to do that.). I mention it here because I hope that it will help out with my number of posts as I cross out stuff on my list.

In fact, one item on my list that I am sure will help drive up my stock prices is to blog more. It’s a pretty frequent goal of mine that hardly ever gets realized, but I’m turning the page on the past and have high hopes for the future. In fact, "blog more” is also open to some interpretation. Posting some thought-provoking essay offering a unique and refreshing take on the American mundane every single day would be ideal, but posting anything at all just once or twice a week would be an improvement. In fact, if it sounds like good writing, but doesn’t sound anything like me, all the better… in fact, I am tempted to delete this whole thing and just post… “It is with great anticipation that I await the New Year.” End fact.

Happy New Year everyone!

1 comment:

Ann L. Duffy said...

Happy New Year to you, too! I like having a long list, especially if there are easy things on it. Like, Make a list.